Trevor Banks Playlist Log

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

How To Be A Playa



                                                                                                Straight from the good Ol Kentucky city of Louisville comes these gentlemen with a touch of class, is the group PLAYA. They started out in there hometown of Louisville, doing talent shows, serenading the ladies , driving them wild. Until one day a blessing from above sent them Jodeci a group they admired , rolled into town for a concert. They caught Jodeci after the show and sang for them. DeVante liked what he heard, and signed them to his Swing Mob label.  From Kentucky they were flown out by DeVante to Rochester,NY at Andrews Building (aka Da Bassment.. Many would have thought it was a music school. In that Bassment they had artists like Sugah, Accion, Ginuwine, Da Boogieman (now Bazaar Royale), Timbaland & Magoo, Sista (Missy Elliot) , Stevie J, Reboc, Mr Brendal, Dante Hawkins, Renee Anderson, and of course now Playa.
                    
                                                                Working on many songs at Da Bassment.. Playa guest appeared on the Jodeci cut ‘ Can We Flow” , “Love You Down” (Nutty Professor sdk) , and Al Greens “Could This Be The Love” . Plus Playa had unreleased songs such as “Count On Me” w/K-Ci , “Ridin Around”, Get Down” feat. Timbaland, “Come On,Girl”. For whatever reason all the artists in Da Bassment left to persue there careers on there own.

HOW I FOUND THE NEW PLAYA ALBUM


Around 1998 I was in Strawberries Records and Tapes..buying CD’s, use to be my weekly thing as a DJ . As I was thumbing through the racks I came across the album Cheers 2 U by Playa. I though to myself “ Hmmm.. is this Playa from Da Bassment that I read in the liner notes of Jodeci’s album”. Looking more closely to the CD I recognized there faces from the “Gin & Juice” DeVante video from my Make It Or Break It VHS collection I had.the
Excited,  I purchased  the album , ran straight to my car, grabbed some Mickey D’s, and decided to go on a road trip on a hot summers day. Luckily I had my bathing suit, towel, and my portable CD player.
                                                                                    Arriving at my destination (Gregg Lake- Antrim,NH please visit if you get a chance). I found my spot on the beach, laid my blanket down, popped in my ne Playa CD, and chilled under the hot summer sun rays. The whole CD was a timeless #CLASSIC . My favorite tracks were “Cheers 2 U” , “All The , Way” , “Derby City” “Ms Parker” feat. Missy Elliot. , “One Man Woman” feat. AAliyah, and “I’ll Be 2 C U” . The album was produced partly by Timbaland. As well as sangin Dem Playa Boyz wrote and produced on the album as well. Black from Playa wrote for Aaliyah’s second album. Smokey of Playa had  hand in Drake’s “Look What You’ve Done”
. Static Major of Playa broke the Lil Wayne career breaking platinum single “Lollipop” (Grammy Winning song). 


Playa went to go on to create more classic music. If you get a chance cop the albums and mixtapes
,
  1. Playa unreleased Compilation
  2. Smoke E Digglera- Personal. Pain & Pleasure
  3. Smoke  E Digglera- Sittin On A Goldmine
  4. Smoke E Digglera- Truth In The Booth
  5. Digital Balck- R&B Street Mixtape
  6. Digital Black- Memoirs of an R&B Thug
  7. Digital Black- Autobiography of Benjamin Bush
  8. Lil Flip & Static- Suppertime Mixtape
  9. Static Major- The Christmas Mixtape
  10. Smoke N Big
  11. Smoke N G.No
  12. Smoke E Digglera- R&B Covers Mixtape
  13. Playa- Cheers 2 U

Mention: Hug Bizza “Work Ya Body”feat. Static, “Wiggle”- Smoke E Digglera

Static Major Interview (RIP)

No comments:

Post a Comment